Micro-needling is another tool in the collagen production. Since the loss of collagen contributes to the fine (and not so fine) wrinkles that come with age, the acne that is the bane of puberty, and the stretch marks of pregnancy, micro-needling induced collagen formation can help rejuvenate these signs of the passage of years. The technique involves repeated puncture of the skin with tiny, sterile needles.
The concept of Micro needling has been around for a while and is based upon the skins ability to naturally repair itself when injured. Immediately following an injury, our skin begins the process of dissolving tissue damage and replacing it with new cells. Micro needling allows for controlled stimulation of the skins self-repair
Micro Needling Can Be Used On:
- Fine lines and wrinkle reduction for face, eyes and neck
- Surgical Scars: Smooth and re-pigment scar tissue
- Hypertrophic Scars: Smooth and flatten scar tissue
- Stretch Marks: Smooth, tighten, and reduce redness in the skin
- Acne Scars and Depressed Scars: Smooth and fill in depressed areas of damaged skin
- UV Damage
The process is painless, as an anesthetic cream will be applied to the skin prior to the procedure. The hand-held device utilizes 9 precisely spaced micro needles in a small cartridge to create invisible, vertical, micro perforations into the epidermis and the top layer of the dermis. It will penetrate through the skin but does not harm it. During the procedure, a serum of 99% growth factors will be applied to the skin, allowing for maximum penetration and results. These growth factors help the skin be firmer, regain elasticity, aid in repairing and stimulating new collagen.
The phases of skin remodeling are:
- Inflammation - Begins after injury
- Inflammatory Response - Tissue proliferation and growth factors stimulate healthy tissue formation.
- Tissue Formation - Actual remodeling of skin tissue continues up to 1-year.
- It does not damage the skin. It leaves the epidermis - the protective layer of our skin - intact.
- Micro needling is the only skin rejuvenation treatment to target and regulate 3 key skin cells (keratinocyte, melanocyte and fibroblast) without compromising the integrity of the epidermis.
- Micro needling/CIT stimulates your body's own collagen production in the dermal layer which is where collagen resides and is formed.
- Results are natural.
- No foreign substances are injected.
- Any part of the body may be treated.
- The healing period is short (1-2 days).
- Less expensive and more effective than laser treatments
- Safe for people with darker skin thus no fear of hyper-pigmentation (dark spots).
- Effective on peri- and post-menopausal women.
- Skin does not become sensitive to the sun.
- Safe for individuals who have had laser resurfacing.
- Changes may occur in dilated blood vessels that may cause them to disappear
Other than the time it takes for the redness and swelling to subside, there is no downtime associated with micro-needling. Normal work and social activity can be resumed after treatment.
You may experience some reddening of the skin and mild swelling. These effects will usually resolve themselves in 24 to 48 hours.
The cost for micro-needling will be discussed at the time of the pre-treatment visit when the skin condition can be fully evaluated and options discussed.
One risk of micro-needling is infection; however, this is rare.
The needle prick induced inflammation subsides quickly after treatment from redness immediately post-treatment to pinkish for 12 to 48 hours. The associated mild swelling calms over the next 24s hours. The inflammation and swelling can be soothed with topical creams applied after the procedure. Sun screen should be applied to protect the healing skin.
Micro-Needling requires multiple sessions to induce collagen production for smoother, more elastic skin. The number of sessions depends on the skin condition being treated and can range from three to eight treatments. Smoother skin can be seen within two weeks; however, the full effects may not be seen for several months as the skin remodels with the newly induced collagen fibers for a smoother look.
A numbing cream is applied on the treatment area to keep you pain free and comfortable.
The procedure entails repeated punctures of the skin with tiny, sterile needles using an electric pen-shaped device. These pin pricks stimulate the regeneration of collagen and elastin fibers for increased skin tightness and texture. Growth factors created from your own blood can be applied to the area as well. The needle micro-perforations allow better penetration and absorption of various growth products which can be applied to the skin.
Unlike other skin resurfacing techniques, such as laser resurfacing, micro-needling can be performed on all skin types and colors without the risk of hyper-pigmentation.
Micro-Needling Collagen Induction Therapy can be used to treat wrinkles, acne scars, stretch marks and skin texture problems. It works by penetrating the skin with tiny needles which then prompts the skin to regenerate with new collagen and elastin production. The microscopic perforations additionally induce new capillaries for an improved blood supply.